Thursday 8 May 2014

Esther Teichmann Artist Talk

I had never seen Esther Teichmann's work before, but after she showed us what she has done and told us about the projects that she wants to do I found myself really loving her work. I mainly loved her videos which at the time she said she had not released yet and after trying to find them online I guess she still has not released them yet. The video that I really loved was of a woman who was a dancer rolling around naked on a bed that had curtains on it, her movements and the enclosed bed were to represent the womb. The video went on for quiet while and had no sound (I think it was unedited) but the movements of the woman flowed so naturally and some of her movement were really flexible and unusual she did appear to be floating around in water. This video may have been to do with a project she had done called Mother and Lover, but I am not 100% sure of this.

I love every aspect of this photo, I love the really unusual, kind of not right vignette effect on the photo. It brings focus to a specific area in the photo and kind of looks and if the colour in that circle has in fact been washed away slightly. This photos bring to mind so many questions about the person in the photo, like why are they there, are they okay, are they safe and so on....

Like in a previous artist talk I tried to take away as much information I could from her about the industry and how to succeed and do well. She told us about how she had collaborated with a painter, so when I got back to halls I asked an artist and a illustrator if at some point they would want to do a collaboration together, both said yes. I had never thought about collaborations before but I think it is a good way of getting your name out there, a good way to meet new people in different areas of art which could then get you into different areas in art.



She told us that in her sketchbooks she tends to write down little stories and will based her work off them. This really appealed to me because this is something I like doing, I like creating my own little world and getting lost in it, but again I have never thought about combining it with my photography. For my current project I am looking into stories and escapism so this was the perfect time to be shown that using any element in your life can contribute to your photographic work. I am defiantly going to Use Esther as artist research in my visual diary. 

To me this photo is quite a fantasy style photo, the colours in the trees don't seem right, it looks as if the man is setting on some sort of random adventure into the forest, yet again bringing around a lot of questions of why. I think the paint running off the frame of the photo adds to the fantasy idea and the fact that she writes stories with her work already shows this combination of her fantasy mixing in and becoming involved with her reality, the paint is running from the world in the photo and bleeding into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment