Thursday 8 May 2014

Moving Image

For the whole of moving image, I didn’t really get very involved or really get into the lessons which I am sad about because it is definitely something that I really enjoy and something I would like to do more of. I really like the idea of making videos, especially weird ones and I really hope that in my second year I will be able to do this more.

For my final video I tried to create a bit of weird scene, something you would see in a horror movie perhaps. My original plan was to do a horror movie in halls, kind of generic and not really that inspired but the main thing that set off the idea is when some people in my halls found a knife taped to another knife in the cleaning lady’s cupboard, I mentioned and said as a joke to them I should use this in my project and they all agreed and wanted to get involved with it and make a horror movie. I had to keep rearranging when I was going to film due to people going home and having to do work and me not having the time to actually plan things and film them. As the deadline to have everything film grew closer I had to just get on and film with whatever ideas I had.

So going along with this horror movie idea I wanted to make use of the fact our kitchen was being knocked into a bedroom. I wanted to use the destroyed room as the scene and have a kind of Blair Witch inspired scene happen in there. In the final scene of the movie of the Blair Witch, in the basement of a decaying house from a first person point of view someone walks into the room and sees their friend just aimlessly staring into the corner of the room and starts screaming hysterically….although I don’t want to do that exactly, while watching the movie, regardless of how many times I have seen it I always expect that person in the corner to turn around with no face or something. So the first thing that I filmed was this…..


As this video was not edited it would be best to mute the video because you can here when I tell the person to turn.




You can't see it in the video but the reason I asked this person be in the video
is because they have different coloured eyes, I thought that if you could see this in
the video it would add another strange (but good) element in the photo.


I really liked this footage and really wanted to use it but when it came to editing I didn’t really know how I would fit it in with my main footage. My main plan at this point was to create a bit of a jump cut style video with loads of different footage mashed together, and have one bit of the footage constantly played in the background but faded so you could see through and see the main video beneath.

The second bit of filming I wanted to do was based on the Urban Legend of someone being in the backseat of the car, I had to wait till it got later in the evening to film this but then when I went to film it got a lot darker very quickly so it was too dark to film, but where I was going to film was right next to some woods so I decided to use an idea of something I have really wanted to do as a bit of footage. There is a piece of work that Heather Cassils did where she took photos in the dark ever few seconds and on another camera it was being filmed, during the filming you can only see when the flash goes off. I went into the woods with 2 cameras, I filmed on mine and took photos with the other, I took a photo every few steps. After filming it I wanted this to be the footage that went over the top of the rest of the video. 

The music that goes with this video was just something that I added when it was put on YouTube, it is only there to blank out the sound of me getting scared every few seconds, feel free to mute



The main bit of footage I did was not really inspired by much, in the kitchen there were loads of things the builders would leave behind, so I ‘borrowed’ a dust mask they had left on the window ledge (which is something I really like and want to do photos with in the future) and thought about doing a simple videos of me staring at the camera…..

I did not end up thinking of a sound track that I wanted to go with the video at the time but afterwards there was a song I wanted to go with it but did not have time to edit the two together…..

 PLEASE PLAY THE TWO VIDEOS BELOW AT THE SAME TIME to get an idea of what I wanted to have the video like…. Thank you!




After realising how much I wanted this song to go with the video I wish I had more time to go back and add in some jump cut hysterical movement to going with the aggressive style of the song.

I liked random spitting up of the blood but I was not exactly how I wanted it, I did film another one before this that look better when it came to the blood but I kept look away and it ruined the whole video so I chose to not use it.
The blood was made from a mix of paint and water.

When I was editing the footage I added in the light flickering effect by chopping the video up then on each section I would change the brightness of the selected clip so when they were played together it would have the flickering effect. I also chopped up the video so I could repeat eye movement to try and get a creepy feeling with the video but I am unsure if that is achieved.

When showing this video to someone they said while watching, towards the end they were expecting me to dive at the camera as a jump scare which is something I really did not think about doing. When it came time to think about using the footage as my installation piece I wanted to use this thought as the basis of how I would show my video. First I thought it would be good to have it shown on a really small screen in a dark room so viewers would have to get close to the screen, therefore making the fearing of being ‘jumped at’ worse and it would hopefully put them on edge. After discussing this idea with Holly, she suggested that I should project the video on a large scale in a confined space like the corridor, I was to get tracing paper to put on the glass window for something for the video to be projected onto/through and to have people to stand in the corridor so they could not move back and be ‘forced’ to watch the video. I did not end up doing my installation piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment