Thursday 8 May 2014

Simon Norfolk /Late Photography

I normally tend to favour photos that are quite visually pleasing, if you have to know the story or meaning behind a photo I normally don't like it that much. That was until I was shown Simon Normfolk's;  Staircase at Auschwitz, with worn footsteps....


I did like the photo when I first saw it, I just thought that it was a bit creepy. I then found out the name of the photo and the whole photo came to life for me. I was right, it was creepy. 'Worn footsteps'.... you can very clearly see in the photograph  the two rows of dents that run either side of the stairs where people would of be walking to their deaths, all I could think about was how many people would have walked up those stairs, a lot to cause the dents, I wonder how many people only walked on way up those steps and never back....a whole history of pain and suffering had just be put on front of me in one photo and it was so powerful.

SImon Norfolk documents places that have been effected by war, his style of photography is known as Late Photography. Late photography are photos of places that tend have had huge histories, normally bad ones, such as war and 9/11.

Other photographs that he has taken showing these type of places are...

Bullet-scarred outdoor cinema at the Palace of Culture in the Karte Char district of Kabul
At a first glance the above photo just seems to be a wall that has started to eroded but you can see the gun shot line that runs up the wall and it makes you start to think about everything that happened here.

King Amanullah’s Victory Arch built to celebrate the 1919 winning of Independence from the British. Paghman, Kabul Province


No comments:

Post a Comment